Home
Hawaii History
Canada
Freelance
Peripatetikos
  GGHG Cap Badge

The Governor General's
Horse Guards

Toronto, Canada
 

Regimental History

 

GGBG Cap BadgeThe Governor General's Horse Guards (GGHG) is a reserve regiment of volunteer citizen soldiers whose illustrious history dates from 1822 when Capt. G.T. Denison formed a Troop of Dragoons for a local militia infantry battalion. The Denison family, from the town of Weston, commanded and financed the Troop for many generations. In 1839, the Troop became independent of its parent infantry battalion and was named the Governor General’s Body Guard (GGBG) in 1866. George Taylor Denison III expanded the Troop to a Squadron in 1876 and to a Regiment in 1889. Canada’s oldest cavalry troop, the Markham (Button’s) Troop, formed in 1810, was one of the troops amalgamated into the Body Guard to form the Regiment. Today the Regiment proudly perpetuates the history of Button’s Troop that had served so well in General Brock’s Army during the War of 1812.

   The Governor General’s Body Guard served in most of the major Canadian conflict of the 19th century. Both Denison’s Troop and Button’s Troop were on active service during the 1837 Rebellion and re-titled the Queen’s Light Dragoons for their good service. Denison’s troop of some sixty volunteers continued to parade during the 1840's and 1850's maintaining an unbroken lineage. In 1866, the troop mobilized to defend Canada from the American Irish Republican Army during the Fenian Raids. The Troop, acting as the advance guard for the Canadian Brigade, chased the Fenian Army from the Niagara Frontier and the town of Fort Erie taking many prisoners. The GGBG, as a Squadron, served as rear area security in the Riel Rebellion for which they earned their first battle honour; The Northwest Rebellion 1885. During the Boer War, (1899) the GGBG supplied volunteers to the Canadian Contingent where one of its members, Capt H.Z.C. Cockburn, earned the Victoria Cross and three others Mentioned in Dispatches.

Mississauga Horse Cap Badge   After the Boer War, a new Cavalry Regiment was formed in Toronto later named the Mississauga Horse. During the First World War, both the Mississauga Horse and the GGBG, supplied thousands of volunteers to the Canadian Expeditionary Force in France. After the war, both Regiments were privilege to perpetuate the elite 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles (4th CMR) history and battle honours. The 4th CMR, raised by the GGBG and Mississauga Horse, were the most heavily decorated Battalions of the Canadian Army, including a Victoria Cross earned by Pte TW Holmes at Passchendale. In 1936, the Mississauga Horse and the GGBG amalgamated to form the Governor General's Horse Guards. The new Regiment activated for overseas duty in 1940, saw action in Italy and subsequently, Northwest Europe, receiving nine battle honours for distinguished performance in World War II.

GGHG Cap Badge   The Regiment has been serving Canada as a reserve regiment continuously since World War II. It was in 1941 that the regiment lost its horses to become a mechanized regiment of tanks. The Regiment remained Armoured until 1965 when it was tasked as a light Recce Regiment in jeeps. The Regiment converted back to an armoured regiment with the Cougar Armoured Car in 1982. In 1950, the GGHG provided 50 volunteers for duty with the Special Service Force in Korea. Individual volunteers and small groups have served with Canadian NATO contingents in Europe and on peacekeeping operations worldwide. Horse Guards continue to this day to volunteer for service augmenting the Regular Army.GGHG Regtl Standard

   The Regiment’s long history and prestigious lineage have made the GGHG the senior Reserve Armoured Regiment in Canada. The Regiment received its first standard in 1938, still the only one in the Canadian Forces. The GGHG has received the Freedom of the Cities of Toronto and York and in 1988, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II was gazetted as Colonel-In-Chief. All of the Regiment’s contributions to Canada, it’s colourful history and it’s soldiers have made the Governor General’s Horse Guards “Nulli Secundus” - Second to None.
 

Colonel-in-Chief

H.M. Queen Elizabeth II

Colonel of the Guards Regiments

His Excellency the Rt. Hon. David Johnston, C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D.
Governor General of Canada

The Governor General Horse Guards Lineage

Button's Troop - 1810
Denison's Troop - 1822
Governor General's Body Guards - 1866
The Mississauga Horse- 1901
The Governor General's Horse Guards - 1936
 

Motto:

Nulli Secundus - Second to None
 

Music:

March: Men of Harlech
Trot: Keel Row
 

Affiliated Regiment:

The Royal Canadian Dragoons
 

Allied With:

The Blues and Royals
(The Royal Horse Guards - 1st Dragoons)
1st the Queen's Dragoon Guards
 

Perpetuating:

Governor General's Body Guards
4th Canadian Mounted Rifles (C.E.F.)
7th Canadian Mounted Rifles (C.E.F.)
216th Battalion (C.E.F.)
Mississauga Horse


The Battle Honours of the Regiment

NORTH-WEST CANADA, 1885
SOUTH AFRICA, 1900

World War I: MOUNT SORREL
- SOMME 1916 - FLERS -
COURCELETTE - ANCRE
HEIGHTS - ARRAS 1917-18 - VIMY
1917 - HILL 70 - YPRES 1914-15 -
PASSHENDALE - AMIENS - SCARPE
1918 - VALENCIENNES SAMBRE -
FRANCE AND FLANDERS 1915-18

World War II: LIRI VALLEY - MELFA
CROSSING - GOTHIC LINE - LAMONE CROSSING - MISANO RIDGE - FOSSO MUNIO - ITALY 1944-45 - LISSELMEER - NORTH-WEST EUROPE 1945

 

 

GGHG history courtesy of the Department of National Defence (Canada)
   Design by Master Corporals P. Cuprys and Smith-St-Kitts

PWOR Cap Badge

 

The Princess of Wales'
Own Regiment

Kingston, Canada
 

 

Regimental History


PWOR Cap Badge 1878

The Princess of Wales’ Own Regiment is a Reserve infantry regiment located in Kingston, Ontario. The unit was organized on January 16, 1863 as the 14th Battalion Volunteer Militia Rifles of Canada from the amalgamation of Kingston’s seven independent rifle companies with lineages dating back to the War of 1812. In 1868, shortly after the wedding of the Prince of Wales (later Edward VII) to Princess Alexandra of Denmark, the Regiment was granted permission to use the name 14th Battalion, The Princess of Wales’ Own Rifles.

   During the Fenian Raids of 1864 and 1866, when IrishPWOR Cap Badge 1907 extremists operating out of the United States conducted forays into British North America, the Battalion was called to active duty at Niagara and, later, Cornwall.  In 1885, during the Riel Rebellion, the PWOR was activated for garrison duty at Tete du Pont Barracks (now Fort Frontenac) and Fort Henry.

   In 1899, members of the Battalion volunteered to serve in the Boer War. As a result of their substantial contribution, the unit received the South Africa battle honour, and in 1900, was raised to “regimental” status.

   At the outbreak of war in 1914, the unit contributed men to thePWOR Cap Badge - Current 2nd Battalion CEF, 1st Division. At the same time, the 21st Battalion, CEF was formed in Kingston with large contributions from the Regiment. The unit also contributed officers and men to the 59th, 146th and 253rd Highland Battalions. After the war, the 14th Regiment (The Princess of Wales’ Own Rifles) was re-designated a line infantry regiment so that it could carry the battle honours and colours of the 21st Battalion, CEF on parade (a rifle regiment traditionally carrying its battle honours on its drums). The unit adopted its present designation, The Princess of Wales’ Own Regiment, in 1921.

   For the Second World War, a decision was made not to mobilize the Regiment for overseas service owing to the heavy losses suffered in the First World War. Instead, the regiment provided one complete company to the Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders. It also provided a guard for Prisoners of War held at Fort Henry. In June 1942, the 1st (Reserve) Battalion PWOR was organized for domestic service at Sherbrooke, Quebec and Debert, Nova Scotia, where it was deployed for east coast defence.

   In 1985, Diana, Princess of Wales became the Colonel-in-Chief of the Regiment, a title she held for 11 years. In recent years, members of the Regiment have distinguished themselves on overseas tours in Cyprus, the Former Yugoslavia and Afghanistan.

 

Colonel-in-Chief

HRH Diana, Princess of Wales
17 August 1985 – 16 July 1996

Honorary Colonel

Colonel Dr. John Scott Cowan

The Princess of Wales’ Own Regiment Lineage

The 14th Battalion Volunteer Militia Rifles, Canada – 1863

14th Battalion, The Princess of Wales' Own Rifles – 1868

14th Regiment, The Princess of Wales' Own Rifles – 1900

The Kingston Regiment (The Princess of Wales' Own) – 1920

The Princess of Wales’ Own Regiment – 1921

 

Motto:

Nunquam Cede – Never Surrender

Music

March: The Buffs

Allied With:

Duke of Lancaster's Regiment

Perpetuating:

Battalion of Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada

1st Regiment of Addington Militia (1812-15)

1st Regiment of Frontenac Militia (1812-15)

1st Regiment of Lennox Militia (1812-15)

21st Overseas" Battalion, CEF

59th Overseas" Battalion, CEF

253rd Overseas" Battalion, CEF

 

The Battle Honours of the Regiment

The War of 1812  (Defence of Canada), 1812-1815

South African War, 1900

World War I:  SOMME, 1916, '18; Flers-Courcelette; Thiepval; Ancre Heights; ARRAS, 1917, '18; Vimy, 1917, HILL 70; YPRES, 1917; Passchendaele; AMIENS; Scarpe, 1918; Drocourt-Quéant; HINDENBURG LINE; Canal du Nord; CAMBRAI, 1918; PURSUIT TO MONS; FRANCE AND FLANDERS, 1915-18.

World War II: Honorary Distinction - The badge of the Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders, with the year-dates 1944-1945.

 

 

 

PWOR history courtesy of the Department of National Defence (Canada),
   D
irectorate of History and Heritage

 

   

GGHG Cavalry Squadron

Tpr NB Dukas GGHG 1979Ocdt Dukas 1981